Thursday, April 12, 2012

In Charge

Job 38:4 "Where were you when I laid the foundation of the earth? Tell me, if you have understanding." ESV


 

Finally…God speaks. Job heard from his three friends. He also heard from the young guy, Elihu. But now, the Lord enters the picture and has a few questions for Job. In fact, this chapter is full of questions and the questions all center on who God is and what He has done. God wants to know whether Job gets it. He wants to know if he understands who He is.


 

God then outlines all of the things that He has created: The earth's foundation, the sea, clouds, morning, dawn, the deep, death, darkness, earth's expanse, light, snow, hail, wind, rain, lightning, dew, ice, frost, the solar system, dirt, food for His creatures.

"Job, do you get it? Do you have understanding? Do you realize that I am the Creator of all things? I formed it all. I control it all. I have a purpose for all of it."


 

Now, I haven't gotten to chapter 39 yet, but it seems like the implication here is: "I created all of these things for My purpose, and I have created you for My purpose as well. Nothing escapes My notice or My authority. Not even what you have experienced lately in your life."


 

God hasn't changed. He is the Creator of all things and He has created everything for His purpose. Not my purpose. Not someone else's purpose. God is orchestrating all of life. He oversees the weather. He oversees the days. He oversees all of time. He oversees what is happening in the solar system. He oversees what is happening on the earth. He oversees world affairs. He oversees governments. He oversees businesses. He oversees economies. He oversees leaders. He oversees churches. He oversees families. He oversees my life. Nothing escapes Him. If He is capable of controlling everything, why do I think that He is not capable of controlling my life? Why do I grab the reigns of control from Him? Why do I question what He does…for where was I when He laid the foundation of the earth?


 

I need to remember this: God is in charge of it all to accomplish His purpose and plan.


 

No comments: