Friday, February 17, 2012

Killer

Eze 31:10,11    "Therefore thus says the Lord GOD: Because it towered high and set its top among the clouds, and its heart was proud of its height, I will give it into the hand of a mighty one of the nations. He shall surely deal with it as its wickedness deserves. I have cast it out." ESV


 

Here we are again...pride. It's a killer. Here is God using trees again to draw a picture and teach a lesson. He compared Assyria to a tree. This was not an ordinary tree. This was a tall tree. This was a beautiful tree. In fact, it was so tall and beautiful that it exceeded any tree that was found in the Garden of God. But as I saw yesterday, position and beauty are dangerous, because they can lead to the killer...pride. Assyria was proud. Its pride lead to wickedness and this lead to its destruction.


 

It is interesting. Georgann and I are in Charleston South Carolina This is a beautiful area of the country and it is full of young, beautiful people. In fact, as you walk around downtown you can tell that style and beauty are something that people strive for. King Street has all of the fancy dancy stores that you can think of. Clothes, jewelry, perfume, restaurants...its all here. It is what Americans want. It is where people think they can find happiness because the right clothes, the right styles, and the right connections imply importance and we all want to feel important. Why? If I am important, then I am significant. If I am significant, then I am elevated. If I am elevated, then I am elevated over others. If I am elevated over others, I am proud. If I am proud, I am dead.


 

The tough lesson is this: We all want to be beautiful but beauty is not something that should be pursued. We all want to be important but position is not something that should be pursued. Rather, run hard after something else: character.


 

I think that this beauty thing is really important to women. Just look at this: "Charm is deceitful and beauty is vain, but a woman who fears the Lord shall be praised." Prov 31:20 And..."Do not let your adorning be external--the braiding of hair and the putting on of gold jewelry, or the clothing you wear--but let your adorning be the hidden person of the heart with the imperishable beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which in God's sight is very precious." I Pet 3:3,4 Beauty is also important to guys. How? We like beautiful women. This is where men and women are both messed up because character is more important than anything, and we emphasize the wrong thing.


 

I think that this position thing is really important to men. We are a very competitive bunch. But just look at this: "Do nothing from rivalry or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves." Phil 2:3 Position is also important to women. How? Women seem to like guys who have power. This where men and women are both messed up because character is more important than anything, and we emphasize the wrong thing.


 

Character: The fear of the Lord. Gentleness. Humility. All way more important than what we can buy at a store to make us look better. All way more important than position.


 

As I think about this, what am I running after? What do I want? Really?


 


 


 

No comments: