Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Promises, Promises

Ez 24:14 "I am the LORD. I have spoken; it shall come to pass; I will do it. I will not go back; I will not spare; I will not relent; according to your ways and your deeds you will be judged, declares the Lord GOD." ESV


 

The fact that God is true to His word has always brought me comfort. It has given me a firm foundation…stability. I am thankful that what He says He will do He does…that is until it comes to judgment. Then, I am not so sure. The thing is, God is true to all of His promises, good and bad. If He promises to bless, He will bless. If He promises to curse, He will curse. You can't take one and not the other. He is God and all that He says is true and will happen.


 

I am sure that Samaria and Jerusalem were not real happy about God's promises. His promise was that if they prostituted themselves with other nations, He would punish them. At the time, they ran after their own desires, they didn't care. Their immediate pleasure was more important to them than the ultimate fulfillment of the promise of God to bring judgment. So they ignored God's promises, they ignored God's word and did what they wanted. God's response: I am true to My word. "I am the LORD. I have spoken; it shall come to pass; I will do it. I will not go back; I will not spare; I will not relent; according to your ways and your deeds you will be judged…". In other words, you may want Me to let up when you are dealing with the consequences of your sin, but I am going to stay true to what I said and you will experience all that I have promised.


 

Decisions. We all make them. When am I going to get up? I have a choice. What am I going to eat? I have a choice. What am I going to say? I have a choice. What am I going to think about? I have a choice. What am I going to watch? I have a choice. Who am I going to hang with? I have a choice. Am I going to obey God? I have a choice. The fact that we have a choice is not the problem. The problem is that in our decision making we fail to consider the promises of God. We want what we want when we want it and who cares what God thinks, is dangerous. Why? Because God is true to His promises. He has spoken and it will come to pass. "I call heaven and earth to witness against you today, that I have set before you life and death, blessing and curse. Therefore, choose life that you and your offspring may live," Deut 30:19


 

There it is. Life or death. Blessing or a curse. Decision making time. God is true to His promise.

No comments: