Thursday, February 23, 2012

Rest

Ps 23:2a "He makes me lie down in green pastures." ESV


 

Rest. What a great word…what a great thing. I think it is something that everyone desires, everyone craves. I love it when I have a chance to come home and get away from pressure and stress. Rest was so important to God that He actually created a day to do it.


 

What is with this thing about laying down in green pastures? Sheep don't seem to be active animals. In fact, whenever I see sheep they are kind of standing around doing nothing…that is unless they are threatened. When that happens, when sheep sense danger, they run. Sheep panic when they are under stress. I wonder what I am like in the face of stress? Get uptight? Get short with my attitude? Use words that I regret later? Do I run? And when I do, do I end up in places that will not feed me?


 

This is when I need to remember that the LORD is my shepherd. He brings me to a place where I can stretch out and lay down in new, fresh green grass. God is not in the business of stressing me out. That is Satan's job. Instead, when stress hits my life, when I sense danger around me I need to rest in the care of the LORD who is my shepherd. He knows what is going on. He knows danger way before I even have a clue that it is on the horizon and He wants to bring me to a place where I can lay down, rest and be fed.


 

This world is filled with garbage. There is always something or someone who is trying to take us down. The Devil prowls around looking for people to devour. The political landscape, the world's situation and economic realities gets scarier by the minute. Should I fear? Should I get stressed out? Should I run? No. I should rest. My Shepherd knows what is going on. He sees it all and He is leading His flock to places where they can lay down, refresh themselves and be abundantly fed. So, lay down, take it easy and rest in the care of the Shepherd. "Come unto me all you who labor and are heavy laden and I will give you…rest."


 

Today, as I face all kinds of hearings and time deadlines…breathe, be fed and rest.


 

No comments: