Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Chardon makes me Angry

As I think about what happened in Chardon yesterday I am angry. I am angry at our society. I am angry at our legal system. I am angry at our churches. I am angry at Satan. I realize that scripture tells us that things are going to progress from bad to worse. I realize that men will be lovers of pleasure more than lovers of God. I realize that children will be disobedient. I know that the Bible is prophetic about this. Yet it still does not absolve us of our responsibility to stand in the gap...to do something...to speak out.


 

What is the solution? The Gospel. Had TJ Lane had Jesus, this would not have happened. If his Dad had the Lord...a totally different scenario. And what about the kids who died? What is the solution? We can't change our society except one life at a time, so we have to go there. We have to open our mouths and share hope. It is imperative.


 

As far as our legal system? It allows way too much. It does not honor marriage. Divorce is too easy. Single parenting is now the norm, not the exception. I read yesterday that more than 50% of the births in this country for those who are under thirty are to unmarried women. (The Week magazine.) This is sick.


 

And what about the church? We have succumbed. We have caved. "Christians" are getting divorced as readily at those who do not believe. And what does that do to the kids? And my question for us? Are we speaking out? Are we challenging people to live their faith not just claim it? Are we trumpeting the sacredness of marriage? The covenant of marriage? The fact that once you are married it is not just between two people...it is between two people and God. This vow is sacred and to break it is to violate a promise before the God of all creation. There is no more fear for God...and frankly there is no more love for God. We need to preach. We need to teach. We need to mentor. We need to disciple. We need accountability. We need to hold each other's feet to the fire. Couples should never ever consider divorce as an option and if they do we have to grab them and shake them and speak truth into their lives. And Dad's…step up to the plate. Do your job to lead and love and provide.


 

I am angry. What am I going to do about it? Jesus is the answer. He always was. He always will be. I have to pray for boldness and then I have to open my mouth. I am a lawyer...I need to make a difference where I am at. I need to see what can be done in our legal system to make divorce difficult. I am an elder at my church...I have to be a shepherd and be in people's lives. Not just on Sunday, but during the week. Pray for them. Call them. E-mail them. Meet with them.


 

I am angry. Do something.


 

2 comments:

Barbie said...

I know you know this, but just a reminder - We are called to preach the Gospel and should do so as much as possible to everyone we know. But it is only God who can change hearts and lives. Yes, we need to do our part, but the reality is, for those He has called, they will know Him whether we have done our part or not. This does not in anyway excuse us, but it does assure us that He is faithful to accomplish His will.

It is upsetting what happened yesterday and most of what is happening in our society, and in the world as a whole, why? because sin should upset us. But we know that our King is alive and reigns victorious over all. - Knowing that I can have hope that His will is going to be accomplished and His name will be glorified. I may not know how, but I know it will. Praise be to Him, even in this time of tragedy.

Glen said...

Barbie: You are right. God is sovereign...but He calls us to be be salt and light in a dark world. We need to pray for the families who have been impacted and the students at Chardon High School.