Saturday, February 4, 2012

Trees

Ez 17:24 "And all the trees of the field shall know that I am the LORD; I bring low the high tree, and make high the low tree, dry up the green tree, and make the dry tree flourish. I am the LORD; I have spoken, and I will do it." ESV


 

Is God interested in trees? Apparently. At least when the trees represent people. Ezekiel was given a story in chapter 17. In it God gave him a parable about a tree that grew as a result of an eagle taking part of the tree and planting it. This tree grew strong and prospered, but that may have been its downfall. With strength and prosperity came pride and self reliance. The result? It withered.


 

The point of the story? "I bring low the high tree, and make high the low tree." "God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble." James 4:6 & I Pet 5:5 "Humble yourselves before the Lord and He will exalt you." James 4:10 "The Lord lifts up the humble; He casts the wicked to the ground." Ps 147:6 And in nature: "Every valley shall be filled and every mountain and hill shall be made low." Luke 3:5 In other words, there is no room for pride or being a big deal in the presence of God. This is back to humbled, confounded and speechless. There is no other attitude and no other position when it comes to facing God.


 

But that is our problem…that is my problem. When I decide that I want to do what I want to do and ignore God it is pride. It is placing myself above God. It is saying to God: "You don't know what You are talking about…I am smarter." Frankly, that is dumb, but it is what we are all like. When that happens, the high tree is made low, cast to the ground and God opposes us. Talk about a dangerous place.


 

The safe place? Low. Humble. Submitted. Obedient. It is in that position that God wants to help. It is in that position that God wants to honor. It is in that position that God wants to lift up, make high and flourish. Not because we deserve it because in that position we know that we don't, and that is the point. It's all God and we know it.


 

So, what will my heart attitude be today, and tomorrow and next week? May it be a short little tree.


 

No comments: