Sunday, September 4, 2011

And So On

Ex 10:2 "and that you may tell in the hearing of your son and your son's son the mighty things I have done in Egypt, and My signs which I have done among them, that you may know that I am the Lord."

I am thinking that God is really trying to get something into Moses' brain. Just look at this pattern: "I AM, I will, I am the Lord, I am the Lord, there is no one like the Lord our God, I may show My power…my Name may be declared, I am the Lord."

The unique Name of God. LORD. I AM. And everyone is going to know it. Moses, the Egyptians, Pharaoh, all the earth, and now your children and your children's children. This was not only going to be for Moses' generation. This was going to proceed throughout all generations. From Moses, to Moses' kids, to Moses' kids kids, and so on, and so on, and so on…to this very day and beyond.

And how does it happen? How will the next generation know that "I am the Lord"? Moses had to tell his kids and grandkids. I have to tell my kids and grandkids. This is how it happens. It isn't something that happens automatically. It isn't something that we can just assume will happen. This requires intentionality. It requires planning. It requires opening our mouths and telling our kids and our grandchildren the mighty things that God has done in our lives.

This is really starting to hit me. The need for us to disciple our children and our grandchildren. The need for dads to embrace this responsibility is huge. The thing is, I don't see it happening a lot. I know that as Georgann and I raised our girls, we lived our lives. We opened our mouths. And thank God my wife had a plan. She grabbed resources and used them. And hopefully I was able to build into the girls lives with my love and my words of encouragement (and sometimes correction) and my example. And thank God, He has blessed us with amazing godly women. Yet a plan? An idea of how to go? Intentionality?

The plan is this: Open your mouth. The plan is this: Tell what God has done. Over and over and over again. To multiple generations. For me now, to Maddie and whatever other grandchildren God blesses us with. I need to write out my story so that my kids and my kids kids can see the amazing things that God has done.

Why? So they all may know that God is the Lord.

1 comment:

Elise said...

Can't wait to hear more about your story Dad!