Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Pictures

Ex 12: 24 "And you shall observe this thing as an ordinance for you and your sons forever."

This is a continuation of what was emphasized yesterday. All the Dad's in Israel had the responsibility to teach their children. How? By telling them the mighty things that God had done…and through pictures.

This was it. This was the end of Israel's captivity in Egypt. Pharaoh and the people in Egypt were going to personally observe the power of God and they were all going to experience the result of one leader's decisions. It is a shame when a whole nation suffers because of one leader's poor decision making. It is a shame when an entire nation has to bear the burden of one person's disobedience. Kind of makes you pause for a moment. It should result in us begging God to put godly men and women in places of responsibility…in our country, in our businesses, in our homes because Presidents and CEO's and Dad's all have an impact on those who rely upon them.

This is where the Dad's come in. "Observe this thing as an ordinance for you and your sons forever." Observe the Passover. How? During a week of observance. During a week where you do not eat any bread with leaven in it. During a week that begins with a holy meeting and ends with a holy meeting. And when your kids ask you why you do this (v26) you can tell them all about how God rescued Israel by passing over them. The picture you draw for your kids that week will prompt them to ask questions and open doors for teachable moments.

This still goes on today. My boss, who is Jewish, still observes the Passover. He and his family still celebrate for seven days and he does not eat anything that has leaven in it. And his kids know why this is done.

I wonder what I did that allowed my kids to ask questions about my faith? I wonder what pictures I drew for them that caused them to wonder. Communion is a picture. Baptism is a picture. And they understand those pictures because of our teaching and what our church has taught them. Observing Christmas and Easter are pictures as well. I just wonder how effective my artistry was? Can it get better? What can I do where they will still ask questions and my grandkids will ask questions? A natural curiosity about my faith is what I would love to see.

No comments: