Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Face to Face

Ex 33:11a "So the LORD spoke to Moses face to face, as a man speaks to his friend." (NKJV)

I love this about God…He is so personal. He wants to communicate with us and He speaks to us. How amazing is that?

Moses was unlike most of the people who he was leading. They did not have this privilege. They were not able to go up on the mountain and directly receive the word from God. They were not able to be hid in a crevice in a rock and then see the back of God…but Moses was. The people were dependent on Moses because they knew that he had a direct line of communication with God. Moses was a guy that had a special place in God's heart. Moses was a friend of God. God held conversations with him. God enjoyed spending time with him.

The wild thing to me is this: I can be like Moses. We all can be like Moses because of what Jesus did on the cross. Jesus broke down any barrier that was there between us and His Father. The veil of the temple was ripped in two from top to bottom. Because of the work that Christ did in dying for us, we now have direct access to God…and He wants this. He wants me to talk to Him, and He wants to talk to me. He wants to speak to me face to face. He wants these times that I spend in the morning to be times that I read His word, grab His word and let Him speak to me through His word.

I don't normally quote stuff, but a lady in our church sent a quote from Dietrich Bonhoeffer that I read this morning and it fits. Here is a part of what Bonhoeffer said to his brother in law in a letter:

"First of all I will confess quite simply – I believe that the Bible alone is the answer to all our questions, and that we need only to ask repeatedly and a little humbly, in order to receive this answer. One cannot simply read the Bible, like other books. One must be prepared really to inquire of it. Only thus will it reveal itself. Only if we expect from it the ultimate answer, shall we receive it. This is because in the Bible God speaks to us…Only if we will venture to enter into the words of the Bible, as though in them this God were speaking to us who loves us and does not will to leave us along with our questions, only so shall we learn to rejoice in the Bible…"

Amazing how God works and brings things together: "the LORD spoke to Moses…" and "in the Bible God speaks to us". How is it that we do not spend time in it? How is it that we don't read it and dig? How is that we then wonder why God is not communicating with us? Duh! God wants to talk to me and He will if I let Him. Dig deeper.


 


 

No comments: