Friday, September 2, 2011

The Glory of God

Ex 8:10 "Let it be according to your word that you may know that there is no one like the Lord our God."

Pharaoh thought he was a pretty sneaky guy. He would pretend that he was giving in and letting the children of Israel go, but after he was out of the heat of the moment, he would change his mind, harden his heart and go back on his word. God knew this. This guy was not outsmarting God. God knew that Pharaoh was going to keep doing this which would eventually lead to more plagues.

Human nature is really interesting. I know that I think this way as well at times. Once I am out of the woods, once I am out of the heat of the moment, once the threat passes, I go back to my same old ways of living. And this is dumb, because it will eventually lead to more difficulty. This is obviously what happened after 9-11. We turned our faces toward God in the time of desperation and when it passed, we went back to living the same old way we always lived. Talk about history repeating itself. And God knows. This does not take God by surprise. He knows how fickle the human heart is.

And what is the overriding thought that is going through God's mind? "I AM", "I will", "I am the Lord", and "there is no one like the Lord our God." God's glory is paramount. The one thing that everyone, Moses, the children of Israel, the Egyptians and Pharaoh will get out of this experience is this: God alone is the LORD.

And what is the overriding theme throughout all of history? God alone is the LORD. He is the One, the Only. Everything else throughout all of time dwarfs in comparison to who He is. The one thing that we all will get out of our experience is that He is LORD. He is Jehovah. He is I AM. There is no one, and there never will be anyone like Him.

I heard James MacDonald say the other day what the three themes of the Bible are. Now, I was thinking that the overriding theme was the redemption of man through Christ. That is a theme…in fact it is the second theme. But the major theme in the Bible is the glory of God. This world was made for His glory. We were made for His glory. Pharaoh was made for God's glory. All of history is being played out for God's glory…because He is…that is all we need to know…and that should be the theme of my life.

No comments: