Friday, December 30, 2011

Big Deal

Esther 5:11 "And Haman recounted to them the splendor of his riches, the number of his sons, all the promotions with which the king had honored him, and how he had advanced him above the officials and the servants of the king."


 

Here was a guy who thought he was a big deal. He had been selected by the king for a position of leadership. He had been individually invited by Queen Esther to join her and the King for dinner, not once, but twice and now he was gloating. This was it. This was the best. It couldn't get any better. So what did he do? He started to show off. He started to brag. He grabbed his wife and friends and told them how wonderful and how rich he was. He was saying: "Look how great I am. I have all of these riches. I have this wonderful family. I have been promoted and honored by the king far above anyone else. And now I get to have dinner…again, with the King and Queen."


 

Little did he know. He had no clue that this was a set up. He didn't consider the words of Solomon: "Pride goes before destruction and a haughty spirit before a fall." Prov 16:18. He didn't have the words of Paul: "Therefore let anyone who thinks that he stands take heed lest he fall." I Cor 10:12 No. He decided that if he had it he was going to flaunt it. He was going to tell everyone he knew just how wonderful he was.


 

There is danger in being honored…or, in Haman's case, thinking that he was being honored. Being honored is actually a test. How will you handle it? Will it go to your head? Will you start thinking that you are all that? "The crucible for silver and the furnace for gold, but man is tested by the praise he receives." Prov 27:21 NIV Haman failed this test big time. He would realize later just how much he failed. He experienced a forever fall. He experience total destruction.


 

This is a huge warning to me. God has allowed me to see some very nice things happen as a lawyer. Big deal. Complements and honors and recognition are a great pat on the back, but it should not, it cannot define who I am. Who am I? Nothing. I have to remember: "God is everything, I am nothing, but He wants to make me something." And that something is not a pride filled, boasting, pompous jerk. Rather, it needs to be a thankful, humble servant of God. When I get away from that, I am doomed.


 

No big deal here. Just someone who wants to (going back to yesterday) accomplish His purpose and be used in any way God desires.


 

No comments: