Thursday, December 22, 2011

Peace, Love, Faith

Eph 6:23 "Peace to the brethren, and love with faith, from God the Father and the Lord Jesus Christ." NKJV

Once again, I thought this was it. I thought this was going to be the last verse, but it isn't. This is just setting things up for the last verse.

Look at what Paul desires for this church: Peace, love, faith. Look at what he started with: "Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ." Eph 1:2 And then Eph 3:17,18 "rooted and grounded in love…to know the love of Christ" and 4:15 "speaking the truth in love", and 5:2 "walk in love", 5:25 "husbands love your wives, just as Christ loved the church", and 6:16 "above all (above all…big deal piece of armor) taking the shield of faith." These are big deal qualities that I should have in my life…peace, faith and love. Just think if we all had this. Just think if the church of Jesus Christ truly possessed these three qualities, peace, love and faith, people would absolutely be drawn to what we have. We would not be able to keep people away. People would be asking us: "What is the deal? Why are you so peaceful? Why are you so loving? Why do you have this unbelievable trust in God?...I want that."

I wonder. I wonder why that does not happen? I wonder why people don't ask me those questions? Do I lack these qualities? If so, how do I get them?

"From God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ." This is stuff that we can't manufacture. This is stuff that we are incapable of developing in our lives. This all goes back to chapter one: "It's all God." God gives peace. Jesus gives love. God gives faith. He is the source of it all. We get these spiritual character qualities "from God our Father (there that is again…walk as children of light…spiritual DNA) and the Lord Jesus Christ."

So what do I do? How are these qualities developed? Well, "faith comes from hearing and hearing by the word of God"…so get in the word. And "don't be anxious about anything but in everything by prayer and petition let your requests be made known to God and the peace of God that transcends all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus." And love? "God is love"…I have to find my very existence in the God of love.

Peace, love, faith…pray for them.

No comments: