Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Filled

Eph 5:18 "And do not be drunk with wine, in which is dissipation; but be filled with the Spirit,"

This is just a continuation of the thought from yesterday…the Spirit's work in our lives in having a mental understanding of the will of God. It all works together, but it only works when we are filled with the Holy Spirit.

It is kind of weird that Paul would combine being drunk with being filled with part of the Trinity. Now, thankfully I have never been drunk, but I have seen people who are, and it isn't pretty. They do things that they would not normally do. They say things that they would not normally say. They act in ways that they would not normally act. Why? Because they are filled with booze. They are controlled by a substance that is foreign to their bodies and it brings about an unusual reaction. It brings about dissipation. That is a strange word. It simply means an abandoned life.

"But be filled with the Spirit." The word for filled means to be filled to the top so nothing else can get in. It means that the Spirit of God is totally in control of your life with no competitors. It means that we will do things that we would not normally do. It means that we will say things that we would not normally say. It means that we act in ways that we would not normally act. Why? Because we are filled with the Spirit of God. We are controlled by a Person that is foreign to who we are and it brings about an unnatural reaction in our lives. We are different. Not strange different. Not weird different. But godly different.

We will sing to one another and God (v19) in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs. Let's face it, man has created a lot of junk when it comes to music. Unfortunately, a lot of this junk creeps into our brains and we start to sing it without thinking. I have to admit, that when that happens, I am not filled with God. I am filled with other junk. I am making room for other things to control me. If I am totally and completely filled with the Spirit of God, there will be a check in my spirit. I will be drawn to sing other stuff, good stuff, godly stuff.

And I will give thanks. (v20) This is the second time in this chapter that Paul reminded this church that they needed to be thankful. Remember, the antidote to uncleanness and filthiness is giving thanks. (v3,4) When I am filled with the Spirit of God, I will naturally be grateful. Complaining will be gone. Discontent will be gone. It will be replaced by a thankful spirit.

And I will submit. (v21) I will be humble. I will yield my way and what I want. I will not demand respect or authority. I will not try to control everything. I will think of the other person as more important than me. Boy, this is hitting me.

This is not natural. This is acting differently. This is speaking differently. This is doing differently. Spirit, fill me so I see these things in my life.

No comments: