Thursday, December 8, 2011

God’s DNA

Gal 5:1 "Therefore be imitators of God as dear children." NKJV


 

God. What comes to mind? All powerful. Creator. Sustainer. Ruler. Sovereign. Righteous. Loving. Kind. Compassionate. Just. Pure. Holy. Faithful. Wise. Smart. Merciful. Gracious. Awesome and so much more.


 

Therefore, imitate Him? How in the world can I imitate God? This just seems to be so impossible. I mean, God is God. I am me. A human acting like God? Yes. Not in the things that are beyond me such as all knowing, all powerful, all present. But in things that His character can reveal itself in me...love, kindness, compassion, true, holy, righteous, faithful, just, to name just a few.


 

And how can this happen? Because I am His child...His offspring. I carry His DNA. If I carry His DNA then I should look like Him.


 

It is weird, we were in South Carolina for the Thanksgiving holiday, spending it with our daughters and sons in law and Maddie. When a baby is born and is growing up you always wonder who she looks like...Daddy, Mommy, Grandma, Grandpa...who? Well we found out when we were going through some of Elise's old pictures. Maddie looks like her aunt Elise. The funny thing is, the same is true with me and my nephew. We look alike. Why does this happen? DNA. We have some of the same genes. Hopefully Maddie will act like her Mommy or Aunt as well when she grows up.


 

As God's child...and not just as His child but His dear child, His special child, in fact the word for dear means favorite child I, and all of us who claim the name of Jesus need to look like God. My attitudes, my actions, my words need to reflections of His character...His DNA. When people look at me they should see beyond what I am like, they should see the character of God.


 

Do they?


 

No comments: