Thursday, December 29, 2011

For Such a Time as This

Esther 4:14 "For if you keep silent this time, relief and deliverance will rise for the Jews from another place, but you and your father's house will perish. And who knows whether you have not come to the kingdom for such a time as this?"


 

Mordecai was becoming an embarrassment to Esther. Here he was sitting outside the king's palace in sackcloth. There was a law that no one was to do this. So Esther tried to send him clothes to wear, but he refused. She really did not know what was going on because she was not politically connected to Haman. Mordecai had to tell her that there was a law that was enacted that would result of the destruction of all of the Jews on a certain day. Because of this he had one request and that was that Esther go to the king and beg for mercy for her people. Right away red flags went up in Esther's mind. She knew that if she tried to approach the king without being summoned, that one of two things could happen. Either he could extend his scepter to her and ask her to approach, or he could kill her. Frankly, she was not sure that she liked this 50/50 proposition. She reminded Mordecai of her chances and Mordecai really reminded her of her chances. It was either 50/50 that she would be killed now, or a one hundred percent chance that she would be killed later. I guess when you put it in those terms, things become clearer.


 

I love Mordecai's confidence in God. He reminded Esther that she and her family would not survive if she did not go to the king, but he had confidence that God was not going to destroy all of the people. He knew in his heart of hearts that God would raise someone else up to deliver the Jews.


 

I kind of look at my witness this way. As I studied in Ephesians 1, "He predestined us for adoption as sons thought Jesus Christ, for the purpose of His will" and He did this before the foundation of the world. (v4,5) As a result, God is not dependent on me to save anyone. God will get His work done regardless of what I do or the words that I say. Relief and deliverance will rise from another place.


 

But, I have to keep in mind: "Who knows whether I have come to this situation for such a time as this?"


 

God had everything under control with the Jews. He was not losing any sleep over what was going to happen, but he wanted to use a girl that He placed in this position at this time. The key here was not the need. The key here was Esther's obedience.


 

The same is true today with me. He has placed me where He has placed me for a reason. God is not only in control of my destiny, He is in control of my path getting to that eventual destiny. He wants to see whether I am going to listen and be obedient along that path. In short, He wants to use me to accomplish His purposes. Now, He doesn't have to use me. He will get done what He wants to get done regardless, but He, in His grace, wants me to be in on it. Amazing.


 

The question I need to answer is how I will respond regardless of the risk. Will I open my mouth? Will I say the word? Will I do the deed? Will I obey and watch God work through me, or will I sit back and watch Him use someone else?

No comments: